Saturday, June 12, 2010

Pancake Rocks

Our next stop while traveling up the west coast was the pancake rocks. I must admit that I hadn't done my research so I was expecting something completely different than what we actually saw there. I also had no idea where they were until I eventually passed several signs advertising their approaching location. That being said, the pancake rocks are one of the countless wonders of the country and undoubtedly worth stopping for. How they were formed is still a scientific mystery, although they know they are some kind of sedimentary rock. Sedimentary rock is formed on the ocean floor as shells, minerals, and muck settles to the bottom over millions of years. As the continents and ocean levels change, the resultant rock ends up on the coast where it is chiseled away by the beating ocean waves. Over thousands of years, the eroded rock has formed beautiful shapes and columns. The pancake rocks, in particular, have a unique shape that looks like stacks of bricks. Some even look like the rocks you would find on the sides of homes designed by Frank Lloyd Wright.

This one definitely looks like House on the Rock, no?


This rock formation reminds me of a formation of space ships.


Here you can see how the waves weave their way between the rocks and carve them into channels like this one.



and caves like this one.


I was so dumbfounded by the natural beauty of the pancake rocks that my head shrunk. I had to walk around for the rest of the day like a character in Beetle Juice.


Can you use your imagination to see funny faces and mythological beings in this rock formation?


This sign gives you some help if you are finding that your imagination is withering with age.

No comments: