Thursday, December 10, 2009

Gunn's Camp

After hiking to the top of Bowen Falls, Barbara and I had some extra time in the day so we decided to go to Gunn's Camp.


Gunn's Camp is located back up over the pass and through the tunnel from Milford. You then take Hollyford Rd, which is a dirt road, to get there. There were two reasons why I wanted to go there. The first reason is because I needed to go there to buy my super secret Christmas presents for my family. The second reason was because when I work night reception at Milford Lodge and we fill up all our camper van spots, and millions of people show up without a reservation looking for a place to park their vans and campers for the night, and I have to tell them "Sorry we are full," to which they reply, "can't I just park in the parking lot?" to which I reply, "no because we are full," to which they reply, "is there any other place we can stay?" And I reply, "no, unfortunately we are the only place you can stay in Milford." Then they ask me if they can stay in the parking lot again, which I say no again. Then they ask me why there are open spots in the parking lot to which I reply, "those spots are reserved for people who are staying in rooms." Then they ask me where the nearest place they can camp is, and I tell them they can try Gunn's Camp. After I tell them they have to drive 45 minutes to get there, back up over the pass, and through the tunnel, they ask me again whether they can just park in the parking lot. I then say no for hopefully the last time, at which point millions of people have formed a line waiting to talk to me. I then say, "Can I help who's next?" and the next person in line asks me if there is a place they can park their camper. Can you tell I have bitter feelings towards people who think they can waltz into Milford at 8:00 pm and are surprised when the only place they can stay for the night is full?

Needless to say, the people who run Gunn's Camp are very nice to us not only because they are nice people, but because we give them so much business.


This is one of the cabins you can rent for the night. They are very simple and everything smells like the fire in the fireplace smell that I love so dearly.


Here is one of the stoves that keep you warm at night. Each cabin has one. Apparently, this is one of the newest ones they have. The other ones must be made of stone!


The cabins are very small and plain. I was in love. The hot water heater in the shared bathroom was heated by burning logs. I don't know what that evil red thing hanging on the wall was, but it had all these blasphemous symbols on it!


There is a short hike you can take to this vista where you can see a waterfall. I guess I'm so used to seeing so many waterfalls in Milford that I need to do things to entertain myself more.

Tune in next time, children when I share my experience in Queenstown. Our word of the day will be "Zerb," which is brought to you by the letter "V.'"

No comments: